Congratulations on being accepted to ACH 2021! We are so pleased to be able to provide this guide to assist you with preparing your presentation.
- Keynotes, panels/individual presentations, roundtables, workshops, and lightning talks will be live via Zoom (synchronous).
- If you are scheduled for a live event, but need to upload a pre-recorded presentation due to extenuating circumstances (such as illness, childcare, and unstable connectivity), please email email@example.com by July 15. These requests will be evaluated on a case by case basis. Due to scheduling, we cannot accommodate late or day-of requests.
- Posters, performances, and installations will be asynchronous (pre-recorded/pre-uploaded).
- In order to be included on the program, authors must be registered.
- All videos should be uploaded to a service such as YouTube, Vimeo, or Google Drive, and then posted in the appropriate discussion on Humanities Commons (see below; HC instructions forthcoming). We recommend using Zoom to record your presentation. Please see these instructions. Alternatively, you may use PowerPoint or KeyNote to record your presentation.
- While transcriptions and closed-captions are not required, they are highly encouraged. Zoom offers automated (if imperfect) closed captioning (assuming your institution has a license for it) as does Google Slides.
- Any supporting materials (written papers, handouts, etc) must be uploaded to Humanities Commons as PDF documents.
- Though all posters, performances, and installations will be asynchronous, you are required to log in the Humanities Commons to participate in the written question/answer forum.
- Posters must be uploaded to Humanities Commons (PDF, JPEG, PNG, or PPT). Optional: you can include a 1-5 minute explanation video link.
We will use Zoom for all live sessions. A moderator will give a brief introduction, moderate questions posed in the chat and via voice, keep track of time, and perform other duties.
- Please join your Zoom session 10-15 minutes early.
- When you join the Zoom room, please test the following with your moderator:
- Screen sharing
- Any special functions you plan to use, such as polls or breakout rooms
- Notify your moderator at least 48 hours in advance if you plan to use a poll, breakout room, or other Zoom feature.
- Keep in mind accessibility in designing slides and other materials. See the W3C’s “How to Make Your Presentations Accessible to All.”
- Mute yourself if not speaking. In addition, turn off audio notifications on nearby devices.
- Close applications on your computer that you are not using to preserve your bandwidth.
- Note that all sessions will be recorded; recordings will be shared online.
- If technical issues come up during the session, please contact the Session Host.
- Please upload your slides and any supporting materials (such as handouts) documents to Humanities Commons.
- The ACH21 Infrastructure Committee will provide time for presenters to practice presentations and Zoom technology prior to the virtual event. Sign up information will be shared in the coming weeks.
- All sessions will have asynchronous forums on Humanities Commons that will be available for continued discussions throughout the conference. More specific instructions for the use of Humanities Commons will be forthcoming.
- Please refer to the ACH Conference Code of Conduct and the Humanities Commons Guidelines for Participation.